Division of Continuing and Global Education
Certificate of Advanced Study for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Are you a nurse practitioner finding yourself perplexed at times when taking care of individuals with mental health issues? If so, the School of Nursing has a postgraduate program designed especially for you. This unique program meets the requirements for national certification by the American Nurse Credentialing Center as Mental Health Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. The program is designed to assist in your professional competence, providing access to specialized mental health knowledge.
To enhance access and provide flexibility, the program is offered online via videoconferencing, videostreaming, and asynchronous computer-based applications. Only four on-site visits are required over the course of this one-year program.
The Certificate of Advanced Study for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners (PMHNP) is offered by the School of Nursing at California State University Fresno, in cooperation with the Division of Continuing and Global Education. This one-year post-master’s program is designed to prepare primary care nurse practitioners to provide a full range of psychiatric services to patients throughout the life cycle. Students are prepared to manage adult and childhood mental health disorders. The program consists of four theory courses and includes 515 hours of precepted clinical experience for a total of 18 units.
Tuition-fees for this program are $420 per unit for 18 units, or $7,560 in total. Students pay fees when they register before the fall, spring, and summer terms. Prospective students should factor textbooks and travel into their budgets. Students are expected to visit the Fresno State campus one or two times per term.
Classes begin in the Fall of 2022.
- A candidate for admission must be a nurse practitioner, i.e. Family Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Adult Nurse Practitioner, or Geriatric Nurse Practitioner.
- The candidate must have a current valid California Nurse Practitioner license and furnishing number. Practicum hours are required to be completed in California.
Admission to the program is a two-step process:
The admission process includes both the University application and the PMHNP Program application.
- You must apply for admission to the University as a graduate student. The university application form can be obtained online at https://www2.calstate.edu/apply.
- You must apply to the School of Nursing using the NursingCAS website under the PMHNP option.
- For more information about the PMHNP program, contact the School of Nursing.