Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Division of Continuing and Global Education

Open University

Spring Semester

MyFresnoState portal will be unavailable every Thursday, 10:00 - 11:59pm, for maintenance updates.

View Summer Semester Open University Information

What is Open University?

Open University allows you to enroll in Fresno State classes without being admitted to the University.

Open University permits community members to enroll in University classes after matriculated Fresno State students have registered for the semester. Enrollment begins on the first day of instruction. Before enrolling, Open University students must meet course prerequisites and obtain instructor permission.  

Open University is ideal for those who want to explore new disciplines, obtain prerequisites for a degree, enhance professional skills, or explore personal interests at the Central Valley's largest public university.

The fee for Open University enrollment is $310 per unit, plus applicable lab or materials fees. The fee is the same for all course levels, California residents, non-residents, and international students. Financial aid is not available through Open University.


Register and pay fees online from January 18 - February 14, 2024. No registration is allowed after February 14. If there is a hold on your university account, you will not be permitted to enroll through Open University until all holds are cleared. (California Code, Title V Section 43281)

Eligible Students

You are eligible for Open University if one or more of the following criteria apply to you:

  • missed Fresno State's admission deadlines
  • were disenrolled or disqualified from an undergraduate degree program and wish to improve your GPA for readmission.
  • are otherwise NOT an admitted, enrolled, or continuing student at Fresno State.

Ineligible Students

You ARE NOT eligible for Open University if one or more of the following criteria apply to you:

  • are an active Fresno State student.
  • were disqualified or disenrolled from a postbaccalaureate (graduate) program.
  • have a hold or financial obligation on your Fresno State account from a prior enrollment.

International students considering enrollment through Open University must contact the International Office to determine their eligibility to take classes at Fresno State as a non-matriculated student. Contact the international office by calling 1.559.278.2782 or emailing

Enrollment Steps

  1. Review and select courses from the University's Class Schedule. Write down the class sections and their five-digit class numbers (e.g., ACCT 4A; 75565).
  2. Create or reactivate your Fresno State account (ID number and email address) for enrollment for the appropriate semester. View detailed instructions to create/recover your account
  3. (optional) Add classes to your Wish List on your Fresno State account to verify your schedule, eligibility, and prerequisites.
  4. Obtain a permission number on the first day of class by:
    • Reporting to the first class meeting and asking the instructor.
    • Emailing the instructor if the class meets online.
    • Reporting to the appropriate department office if enrolling in a special course (e.g. independent study or internship).
  5. Use the 5-digit class number and permission number to enroll online. View detailed registration instructions. 
  6. Pay fees within 24 hours of enrollment to avoid being dropped from the class. View payment instructions and options.
  7. (optional) Obtain a Continuing and Global Education ID Card for $5 to access select campus services. 

You may add classes or change grading options until the University's Census Date. Use the registration options in MyFresnoState to modify your registration through the Census Date. This is also the last day students may apply for a baccalaureate degree to be granted at the end of the term. The Spring 2024 Census Date is February 14, 2024.

Grading Options

While enrolling, do not forget to check the appropriate grading option to ensure your preferred grade appears on your permanent Fresno State transcript. Contact the academic department or consult the University Catalog beforehand, if needed, to determine the best grading option. If you wish to audit a class through Open University, please submit a Schedule Change Form to update your enrollment.

Explanation of Grading Options


Canvas is used to provide course information, assignments, and activities for Fresno State courses. Most instructors teaching fully online courses expect students to complete most classwork on Canvas. You must be enrolled in a class through MyFresnoState through Canvas before the class will appear in your Canvas portal. Your Canvas login will be the same as your MyFresnoState login. 

Login to Canvas

Withdrawal and Refunds

You may withdraw from Open University within the first four weeks of instruction without impact on your transcript. After the fourth week, you may request an authorized withdrawal. If approved, the course will remain on your transcript with a "W" grade, which does not impact your grade point average.

If you stop attending a class without formally withdrawing, you will receive an unauthorized withdrawal, or "WU" grade, which counts as an "F" in your grade point average. 

Serious and Compelling Reason Withdrawals

A “serious and compelling reason” is an unexpected condition not present before your enrollment in the course that unexpectedly arises and interferes with your ability to attend class meetings and/or complete course requirements. To request a withdrawal, you must submit a Schedule Change/Refund Form explaining the serious and compelling reason and provide supporting documentation.

Withdrawals for serious and compelling reasons may be requested after the fourth week of the semester and until the twelfth week. 

Extraordinary Circumstances Withdrawals

"Extraordinary circumstances" are situations beyond the student’s control that prevent course completion, even with an incomplete grade. You must submit a Schedule Change/Refund Form explaining the circumstances, attach supporting documents, and obtain signatures from the instructor, their department chair, and either the Dean of Undergraduate Studies or Graduate Studies. 

Withdrawals for extradinory circumstances may be requested after the twelfth week of the semester and until the sixteenth week. 


Instructional Week Date Deadline
Second Week January 31 Last day to withdraw for a 100% refund. 
Fourth Week February 13 Last day to withdraw for a 65% refund and without a "W" grade. No refunds are granted for withdrawals after this date. 
Twelfth Week April 19 Last day to withdraw for a serious and compelling reason. No refunds are permitted. 
Sixteenth Week May 8  Last day to withdraw due to extraordinary circumstances. No refunds are permitted. 


Dates to Remember

Important dates and deadlines for Spring 2024 Open University.
Date Remember
January 18, 2024 Instruction and registration begin.
January 31, 2024 LAST DAY to drop and be eligible for a full refund (10th day of Instruction)
February 1 - 13, 2024 65% refund available for drops during these dates. No refunds are granted after February 13, 2024.
February 13, 2024

Last day to drop classes online (hard copy Schedule Change form required to drop classes after this date

LAST DAY TO DROP WITHOUT A ‘W’ GRADE on the student’s transcript (Drops after this date must have a serious and compelling reason and will have a grade of ‘W’ list on the transcript). No refunds granted after this date. 

February 14, 2024


All drops will show a ‘W’ grade on the student’s transcript


  • Add a class
  • Change grading option to/from CR/NC on courses with a mixed grading basis
  • Change from credit to audit or audit to credit grading
  • Application period ends for BACCALAUREATE Degree ends to be granted in May 2024
February 14 – April 19, 2024 Serious and Compelling Drop/Withdrawal Period. All drops/withdrawals must be for a serious and compelling reason which makes it impossible for the student to complete course requirements. Student must provide written documentation that substantiates the condition. The reason must be acceptable to and verified by the instructor(s) of record and the department chair(s) who must both sign the form. Once the form is filled out and appropriate signatures obtained, submit form and documentation to Continuing and Global Education.
February 19, 2024 Presidents’ Day—CAMPUS CLOSED.
April 1, 2024 Cesar Chavez Day (observed)—CAMPUS CLOSED.
April 19, 2024 Last day to drop classes for a serious and compelling reason (no refunds allowed). Only complete withdrawal from all classes, for  circumstances beyond the student’s control, may be permitted after this date.
April 20 – May 8, 2024 Last three weeks of semester. Drops/withdrawals are NOT permitted except in cases such as accident or serious illness where the cause of the withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student’s control and the assignment of an Incomplete is not practical. Student must provide written documentation and obtain approval signatures from each instructor and department chair, AND the Dean of Undergraduate/Graduate Studies. Once the form is filled out and appropriate signatures obtained, submit form and documentation to 
Continuing and Global Education.
May 8, 2024



  • Drop/withdraw for circumstances clearly beyond student’s control. Instructor, department chair and Dean of Undergraduate/Graduate Studies signatures required.
May 9 - 10, 2024 Final Exam Preparation & Faculty Consultation Days
May 18, 2024 Spring 2024 SEMESTER ENDS
May 27, 2024 Memorial Day – CAMPUS CLOSED
May 28, 2024 Spring 2024 grades posted


Fee Disclaimer: The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fees are initially charged or initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide fees, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide fees will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code).