Division of Continuing and Global Education
Global Awareness Certificate
The Global Awareness Certificate is a Certificate of Special Study awarded for successfully completing at least 12 semester units as described below. It can be tailored to a particular area of study by programs, departments, or colleges/schools and certifies that a student has achieved a set of outcomes denoting a level of competency in the international arena.
The following broad parameters apply to the Global Awareness Certificate:
- Must be a minimum of 12 units.
- Must include completion of Social Sciences 16 - Introduction to Global Studies (3 units). Please note, this course is only offered during the fall semester.
- Must include the equivalent of at least one year of foreign language (two years of high school foreign language).
- Must include at least one study abroad experience.
- Must include at least one course (3 unit minimum) in the student's major (or closely related field) dealing with international aspects of the major. These courses are identified by individual departments and colleges.
Courses that fulfill requirement #5 are:
|Agricultural Business||AGBS 140|
|Chicano and Latin American Studies||CLAS 171|
|Fashion Merchandising||FM 133|
|Food Science and Nutrition||NUTR 170|
|Geography||GEOG 165, 166|
|Industrial Technology||Any 2 of IT 106, 137, 184|
|Liberal Studies||Any 3-unit upper division course from the study abroad experience|
|Linguistics||LING 115, 120, 151|
|Marketing and Logistics||MKTG 115, 140|
|Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures||FREN 109, FREN 149, HUM 108, HUM 110, SPAN 125, SPAN 129, SPAN 148T|
|Music||MUSIC 170A, 171|
|Nursing||NURS 141, 141L|
|Philosophy||PHIL 139, 158|
|Political Science||PLSCI 121, 122, 125, 126, 128T, 141, 144T, 145T, 147, 148|
|Recreation Administration||RA 130|
|Women's Studies||WS 136T|
The application for the Global Awareness Certificate can be downloaded here (PDF).
Instructions for campus departments for issuing the Certificate can be downloaded here (PDF).