Division of Continuing and Global Education
Policy on the Review and Approval of International Agreements
As required by CSU Executive Order 1080, each campus of the California State University must have a formal and documented campus review and approval process for international agreements. As defined in the Executive Order, an international agreement involves an agreement with a partner where the CSU makes a commitment of resources to engage in activities with international students, universities or other persons or entities doing business outside of the United States. Such agreements include degree programs offered abroad, articulation agreements, agreements with agents or partnerships to recruit international students, students, staff and faculty exchange, and study abroad.
The President of California State University, Fresno has been delegated responsibility for approval of all international agreements and only the President has the authority to execute such agreements. The President shall execute international agreements only upon documented completion of the following process:
- Use of Standardized Agreement Templates: Where possible, the development of all proposed international agreements will begin with one of the standardized templates developed by the CSU Office of General Counsel. Such templates are available on the Fresno State International Agreements website at /gateway/agreements/index.html.
- Department and School/College Consultation: Each agreement shall be reviewed and approved internally through relevant School/College consultation processes as established in each respective unit.
- Review by SIO: The SIO shall review and approve all proposed agreements in their respective units. Prior to approval, the SIO shall review and endorse the general concept of the agreement, review and vet the potential partner institution and ensure that it is accredited and recognized by appropriate educational ministries/authorities, and review all supporting documentation for the proposed activities to be enacted under the agreement.
- School/College Approval: The School/College Dean shall review and approve all proposed agreements in their respective units. Prior to approval, the Dean shall review and endorse the general concept of the agreement, review and vet the potential partner institution and ensure that it is accredited and recognized by appropriate educational ministries/authorities, and review all supporting documentation for the proposed activities to be enacted under the agreement.
- Constituent Groups: Constituent groups pertaining to the agreement will review and approve all proposed agreements.
- The Director of Procurement shall review and approve all proposed agreements.
- Risk Management Approval: EHS Director/Risk Manager shall review and approve all proposed agreements.
- Final Review by SIO: The SIO shall review and approve all proposed agreements in their respective units.
- Chancellor’s Office Review and Approval: The SIO shall forward a final draft of the proposed agreement to the Chancellor’s Office (“CO”) in compliance with the Executive Order. The SIO shall serve as the principal liaison to the CO and shall cause any modifications required by the CO to be made to the proposed agreement, in consultation with relevant constituents and the sponsoring School/College Dean.
- Presidential Approval: The SIO shall forward the final agreement approved by the CO to the University President. The memorandum of transmittal to the President shall include a narrative describing all consultation undertaken, as well as a summary of all material changes introduced through the process. The President shall review and approve the agreement, without executing it, and return it to the SIOfor distribution.
- Foreign University Execution: Upon receipt of Presidential approval, the SIOshall route the agreement for execution by the foreign institution.
- Presidential Execution: Once the executed agreement is received from the foreign institution, the SIO shall route the agreement, with all supporting documentation, to the President for final execution.
- Distribution and Storage of Agreements: All fully executed agreements shall be stored in CGE in compliance with CSU document retention policies. CGE shall annually transmit an index of all current international agreements to the CSU Chancellor’s Office, in compliance with the Executive Order.
The University Approval Process for International Agreements Flowchart provides a graphical illustration of the processes required for compliance with this policy. Click here to view.