Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

International Office

H-1 to F-1 Change of Nonimmigrant Status

Contact the International Office as soon as you know you must obtain F-1 status in order discuss your options. This change of status within the U.S. can be especially challenging, and it is often best to travel, apply for an F-1 visa abroad, and reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.


  1. Obtain an I-20 from the International Office. 
    If you are currently studying at the Fresno State in H-1B status and wish to obtain F-1 status, request an I-20 from the International Office and submit supporting financial documentation and a copy of your passport identification page. Allow 1 week for processing. You will receive an email from the International Office when your I-20 is ready for pick up.
  2. Review your options for obtaining F-1 status. Decide which option to use: "Travel and Reentry" or "Change Status in the U.S."
  3. Prepare the required documents and follow the next steps for obtaining F-1 status (details below).

Option 1: Travel and Reentry

Review the International Office Visas page. Plan your travel and F-1 visa appointment accordingly. You can enter the U.S. with your I-20 and F-1 visa no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 start date.

Option 2: Change of Status in the U.S.

Submit your application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by mail.

Mail the following documents to the USCIS Lockbox.

  • Form I-539 
  • $370 fee: check or money order payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
    • You may also pay the filing fee with a credit card by completing form G-1450 and place the form on top of your application when filing. 
  • Original I-94 card or photocopy of admission stamp and a paper printout of I-94 record 
  • Photocopy of the visa page and identification page in your passport
  • Photocopy of the signed I-20 Issued in your name by the International Office
  • Detailed evidence of financial support (such as a bank statement)  
  • Photocopy of your H1-B Approval Notice (I-797)
  • Photocopy of your I-94 (front and back) or I-94 electronic printout
  • A letter from your employer verifying that you are maintaining H1-B status
  • Detailed letter requesting and explaining the need to change status
  • Photocopy of proof of payment of SEVIS fee


The regulations prohibit working on campus until the change to F-1 status is approved.

F-1 status cannot begin earlier than 30 days before the start date on your I-20. You should submit your application several months in advance, and you must be able to maintain your current H-1 status until 30 days before the I-20 start date. If your H-1 status will expire prior to 30 days before your I-20 start date, your application will most likely be denied. Even though you are allowed to stay in the U.S. while the application is pending, if your application is likely to be denied, it will be better for you to travel, obtain an F-1 visa abroad, and reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.

In addition, you cannot continue working in your H-1 approved job after your F-1 status is granted.

Your foreign, non-U.S. address must be listed in the permanent address field in the Fresno State student portal. If this field currently shows a U.S. address, please update your foreign address at or submit your foreign address to with your name and student ID number and we will update the student database in accordance with the F-1 regulations.