Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

International Office

B-1/B-2 to F-1 Change of Nonimmigrant Status

Contact the International Office as soon as you know you must obtain F-1 status in order to discuss your options. This change of status can be especially challenging, and it may be best to travel, apply for an F-1 visa abroad, and reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.


  1. Obtain an I-20 from the International Office after being admitted.
  2. Review your options for obtaining F-1 status. Decide which option to use: "Travel and Reentry" or "Change Status in the U.S."
  3. Prepare the required documents and follow the next steps for obtaining F-1 status (details below).

Option 1: Travel and Reentry

Review the International Office Visas page. Plan your travel and F-1 visa appointment accordingly. You can enter the U.S. with your I-20 and F-1 visa no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 start date.

Option 2: Change of Status in the U.S.

Submit your application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Mail a paper application to the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox facility.

Mail the following documents to the USCIS Lockbox

  • Form I-539
  • $370 fee: check or money order payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
    • You may also pay the filing fee with a credit card by completing form G-1450 and place the form on top of your application when filing. 
  • Original I-94 card or photocopy of admission stamp and a paper printout of I-94 record 
  • Photocopy of the visa page and identification page in your passport
  • Photocopy of the signed I-20 Issued in your name by FRESNO STATE 
  • Detailed evidence of financial support
  • Photocopy of proof of payment of SEVIS fee 
  • Detailed letter requesting and explaining the need to change status
    If your B-1/B-2 visa is endorsed "prospective student," you should have little difficulty changing to student status. If your visa does not have a "prospective student" notation, include answers to the following questions in your letter:
      What did you tell the consular officer was the purpose of your visit to the U.S.?
      Upon entry to the U.S., what did you tell the immigration officer was the purpose of your visit?
      How and when did you arrive at your decision to study in the U.S.?
      How and when did you first contact the University, and when were you informed you had been admitted?
      If prior to your entry into the U.S. your intention was to attend school, why didn't you apply for an F-1 student visa rather than the B-2 visitor visa?
      Have you been in the U.S. before? When and for what purpose?
      Any relatives in the U.S.? If so, what types of visas are they here on?


The regulations prohibit beginning a full course of study until the change of status to F-1 is approved.

F-1 status cannot begin earlier than 30 days before the start date on your I-20. You should submit your application several months in advance, and you must be able to maintain your current   B-1/B-2 status until 30 days before the I-20 start date. If your tourist status will expire prior to 30 days before your I-20 start date, your application will most likely be denied. Even though you are allowed to stay in the U.S. while the application is pending, if your application is likely to be denied, it will be better for you to travel, obtain an F-1 visa abroad, and reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.

Your foreign, non-U.S. address must be listed in the permanent address field in the Fresno State student portal. If this field currently shows a U.S. address, please update your foreign address at or submit your foreign address to with your name and student ID number and we will update the student database in accordance with the F-1 regulations.