Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

International Office

Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement

Some Exchange Visitors are subject to what is called the two-year home-country physical presence requirement. This “two-year residence” requirement applies to you if:

  • Funding: You receive any funding (including nominal travel grants) from your home government or if you are named in a U.S. government grant or fellowship specifically designed for exchange.
  • Skills List: Trained personnel in your field are identified by your home government as being in short supply and your field has consequently been included on the U.S. government's Exchange Visitor's Skills List.
  • Graduate Training: Your J status is sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.

If you do not know whether your country and/or field appear on the Exchange Visitor Skills List, check the list or ask at the International Office. The two-year home-country physical presence requirement is explained on the reverse side of the DS-2019 form.