Division of Continuing and Global Education
Early Childhood Education (ECE) 24-Unit Transitional Kindergarten (TK) Certificate Program
Preparing ECE Teachers for California’s Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten and ECE Programs
The Early Childhood Education (ECE) 24-Unit Transitional Kindergarten (TK) Certificate Program offers intensive preparation for teachers who have, or are obtaining a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and want to enhance their ECE qualifications for teaching in TK or K classrooms. The program consists of 24 units of required ECE coursework. The ECE 24-Unit TK Certificate Program is a learning community of ECE professionals who:
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and dispositions that promote development and learning for children attending TK, Kindergarten, Preschool and other ECE programs.
- Create developmentally appropriate and responsive early learning environments that address common core standards for state-funded programs
- Are responsive to ethnic, cultural and linguistic diversity
- Have expertise in English language development
- Utilize strategies to include children with a variety of special needs
- Build strong relationships with families and communities
- Have collaborative partnerships with schools and service agencies
- Apply current ECE research to ECE practice and implement the latest technology
- Engage in reflection, documentation, self-assessment and life-long learning
- Advocate for children, families and quality ECE practices
The ECE 24-Unit TK Certificate Program has eight required courses for the TK Program that can be completed in less than a year. The TK courses are offered through the Division of Continuing and Global Education (CGE). ECE graduate students admitted to Fresno State may be allowed to substitute some of the courses in their graduate studies leading to the MA degree as indicated in parentheses.
This introductory class examines research and best practices as recommended by the California Learning Foundations to support academic success. Course topics include: child development and learning, early literacy, adult-child interaction, early learning approaches, ECE environment, observational assessment, and early intervention strategies.
This supervised ECE field experience in a preschool, TK, or K classroom Includes work with children and families, meetings and consultations with other ECE professionals in TK and K and related programs. Prerequisite: Completion of one of the required TK courses. (MA course, LEE 241 may be substituted if 45 hours of field experience are completed in a preschool, TK or K placement) (3 units)
For More Information
For more information on the specific qualifications for teaching transition kindergarten, go to: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/em/kinderfaq.asp