F-1 Students must have work authorization to participate in any type of employment option.
Workshops are designed for new students and provide information on:
- Basic information on F-1 student employment option such as CPT, OPT, on-campus employment
- General eligibilities, benefits, and obligations for each employment option
- SSN Application
CPT/ OPT workshops are available either on CANVAS or interactively through zoom where you will get the most up-to-date info in an interactive environment to ask questions. Please see the schedule below for your options and complete the Employment Workshop Sign-up form if you are interested in attending to receive the zoom link.
- OPT workshop. Wednesday, September 15, 2021; 3:00pm-4:00pm
- OPT workshop. Tuesday, October 12, 2021; 3:00pm-4:00pm
- CPT workshop. Monday, November 8, 2021; 3:00pm-4:00pm
- OPT workshop. Monday, November, 29, 2021; 3:00pm-4:00pm
F-1 students must have a work permit through the International Office to work on or off-campus. Once you become a CSU, Fresno student, you can obtain further information regarding the following types of employment at the International Office. Employment workshops are offered throughout the semester through either in person or CANVAS online.
On-Campus Employment. On-campus employment must be performed on the school’s premises (including on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria).
Employment must not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. An F-1 student may, however, work on campus more than 20 hours when school is not in session or during the annual vacation, such as Winter or Summer. Approval is granted by the International Office. An F-1 student may not engage in on-campus employment after completing his or her course of study.
F-2 Guidelines: The F-2 spouse and children of an F-1 student may not accept employment in any capacity.
The Career Development Center, located in the Thomas Building Room 103, helps to educate, prepare, and connect students for career and lifelong success. A few of the Career Development Center services include:
- Preparation for Interviews
- Develop Resumes & Cover Letters
- Explore Majors & Careers
- Meet with a Career Counselor
Please visit the Career Development Center's website for more information. Additional services within the Thomas Building include: